Winnie the Pooh may be a children’s book but it has so many wise sayings in it that it touches the heart of every adult. It seems like A.A. Milne, the author, is trying to use this character to express a lot of his philosophical ideas to a diverse audience. Let’s read between the lines and find out what wisdom is hidden behind these wonderful sayings:
1. Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem.
There are many talkers in the world. But there are few listeners. We should stop and listen more before talking.
2. If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
When someone is not listening to anything that you are saying, then it might really make you angry. But wait, don’t let your emotions take over. Maybe the other person is just distracted.
3. Don’t underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.
We don’t have to do something all the time. Sometimes, we can just do nothing, think nothing, and experience everything as it comes.
4. Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
It’s fine if we exert all our energy on different kinds of thoughts, but sometimes, shouldn’t we try to just rest, forget everything and then maybe start all over again?
That’s why all of us are unique. We have something different in all of us and that’s what separates us from another person and makes us ‘US’.
6. But it isn’t easy,” said Pooh. “Because poetry and hums aren’t things which you get, they’re things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you.
Poetry and music are not something you need to understand. They are feelings that catch you, and then lift you up and take you away for a magical ride.
7. How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
If you really love someone, then you will find it extremely difficult to say goodbye. Few people have someone like this. Aren’t you feeling lucky?
8. I knew when I met you an adventure was going to happen.
Whenever you meet someone, you are becoming a part of their stories – their weird adventure.
9. Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
Rivers have a fixed destination – they don’t have the need to doubt it. They are flowing towards it so they have no need to hurry.
10. Think, think, think.
Just these three words are enough. You have to think before taking any action. Thinking should always be prioritised.
11. One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.
This is just beautiful. Have you ever found something in your rubble that you never thought existed? You discovered it only because you were so messy and disorganized.
12. It’s so much more friendly with two.
We don’t need a lot of friends. We can just have one and it can get so personal that you would not require anyone else
13. If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever
If you have to leave someone, then at least you can keep them in your heart. There they will remain with you for eternity.
14. You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
You should sometimes go out and grasp what you think you deserve. Don’t wait for it to come to you – it may never arrive.
15. Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon.
The smallest things matter a lot. All we need is a balloon and it can make our day. It’s nothing much really, but enough to make you happy.
16. Just because an animal is large, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.
We often think a person, who is large and strong, can take care of themselves. But that is just so wrong. They have emotions just like all of us – they want love and kindness too, just like all of us.
17. “What day is it?”
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.
We often forget how important the ‘present’ is. It is full of opportunities just waiting for us to grab.
18. If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.
When we love someone, we cannot imagine life without them. And so, we would rather live as long as they are, but maybe leave just a day before so we don’t suffer their loss.
19. Sometimes, said Pooh, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.
Small actions mean a lot for many people. They remember it for a long time. It is etched in their memory.
There’s nothing worse than being forgotten. That’s why Pooh mentions that he will be staying forever in case he’s forgotten.
21. Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more…to give way to the happiness of the person you love.
Love is not about arguments or control. Sometimes, you may just have to take a step back and allow your lover the space they require. It will do wonders.
22. Rabbit’s clever,” said Pooh thoughtfully.
“Yes,” said Piglet, “Rabbit’s clever.”
“And he has Brain.”
“Yes,” said Piglet, “Rabbit has Brain.”
There was a long silence. “I suppose,” said Pooh,
“that that’s why he never understands anything.
Sometimes, when you are too logical about everything, then you start losing any sympathy or feeling towards certain things in life. Sometimes, we should think with our heart and let our brains go blind for a moment.
Pooh, when we were underneath it?”
“Supposing it didn’t,” said Pooh after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
There are always two sides – the glass half full or the glass half empty. Maybe something bad will happen, but it can NOT happen too. So why should we worry?
Winnie the Pooh may have a strange and funny way of talking but there is hidden wisdom behind each of his sayings. It really touches your heart and inspires an immense amount of positivity within you.